Dirty linen was pulled out at Bangalore University, where controversy is nothing new. But Tuesday’s developments were perhaps the ugliest, which involved the decision-makers of a university that has a student population of over seven lakh.
While vice-chancellor Dr N Prabhu Dev refused to allow the newly-appointed registrars — M G Krishnan and M S Talwar — to assume office on Monday, insisting on official communication from the CM’s office, the latter said they were armed with the government order (GO) from the higher education department.
That’s where all the confusion began. The professor of the department of rural development at BU told `The Times of India’ that students were upset that the V-C did not allow the registrars to join.
“The protest began around 10.30 am and continued for three-and-half hours. Students, teachers, non-teaching staff — all participated in the protest. There was no compulsion on anyone to participate. We wanted the vice-chancellor to respect the GO and appoint the registrars,” he said.
“We have given the university three days to solve the issue amicably, failing which the protest will continue indefinitely. It is the image of the university that is affected,” he said.
CASTE THE PROBLEM?
Led by India, America’s universities and colleges have defied the economic meltdown by posting the biggest increase in the number of international students admitted since 1980.
India, which has led the student inflow to US campuses for the past eight years, has for the first time crossed the one lakh mark in a single academic year. It has sent 1,03,200 students of a total 6,71,616 foreign students admitted during 2008-09 academic year, said the Institute of International Education (IIE) in its annual report, released on Monday.
India accounts for as much as 15.4 per cent of the year’s flow of international students into the US. With China following closely (98,235 students), the two Asian giants together account for 30 per cent America’s newly-enrolled foreign students.
Neither the US’s recession with unemployment currently running at 10.2 per cent nor the escalating costs of American higher education appear to have applied the brakes on the “Chalo America” trend. Read More>>
Despite recession blues, the Salem region consisting of Namakkal and other districts of Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri, is emerging as the hub of professional education in Tamil Nadu with a host of new engineering and arts and science colleges being added to the existing list.
A couple of years ago, Salem district had 39 higher education institutions such as engineering colleges, arts and science and polytechnic colleges, besides Government Medical College, Government Engineering College, private-managed Vinayaka Mission University and Salem Periyar University.
The State’s higher education department also runs four Government Arts Colleges.
But for the last two years, the list has grown to 55 with the opening of 10 new engineering colleges, two arts and science colleges, three management institutes and a polytechnic college, besides a constituent college of Periyar University in Mettur.
To read full article click here
It’s a tale of two committees reviewing the same set of deemed universities. While the UGC’s review committee has hurriedly given satisfactory certificate to 90 deemed universities, HRD ministry’s review panel is not taking any chances and is not likely to be so liberal.
On Friday, the full meeting of UGC will approve the cases of five more deemed universities whose functioning has been found satisfactory on all counts by its review committee. However, UGC sources said, “It has now been decided not to send our review committee report to the HRD ministry. After the entire exercise is over, we will send the report of all deemed universities.”
On Thursday, HRD review committee began its two-day meeting to finalise the structure of the report that will be given in the next few days.
To read full article click here
The human resource development ministry’s request to central education institutes to “make efforts to generate additional resources” is unlikely to go unheeded. As indicated by the ministry, already some institutions are considering hiking tuition fees, and charging students for services like the internet.
Central universities, such as the University of Delhi are considering revising tuition fees and charging user fees for facilities like the internet. However, it will be a while before the universities are able to effect these changes as a final decision would require the approval of the university’s apex bodies. Tuition fees have not been revised in a long while. As universities consider hiking tuition fees an important consideration would be the impact it would have on grants they receive from the University Grants Commission.
To read full article click here
The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has decided to set up study centres for educationally and economically backward and minority sections of the society as per recommendation of the Sachar Committee.
Beside many other initiatives, the university would introduce foundation course in Bhojpuri language and translate the study material in regional languages for a wider access to higher education for all sections of the society.
Talking to reporters here on Friday, pro vice-chancellor of IGNOU Prof KR Srivathsan said the university had recently taken many new initiatives on higher education and effective learner’s support services. A number of schools had been activated to meet the requirements of the society, he said and added new activated schools covered a wide range of learning including law, agriculture, journalism and new media, gender and development, tourism, hospitality service sectoral management, vocational education, extension and development, foreign languages, translation, performing and visual arts. Currently 21 schools are offering more than 300 programmes.
To read full article click here
Psychology as a career option is still in its nascent stages in India and has huge scope for growth. Thus if you are seriously contemplating a career in Psychology you could well be on the right track. There are numerous universities across the country that offer a Masters and can set you off on a dynamic and challenging future.
For those who are new to this field of science, Psychology is the study of human behavior, and a psychologist is one who applies his/her knowledge of human behavior to a wide range of human services, like management, counseling, law, sports etc.
Types of Psychology
There is a huge list when it comes to types of Psychology as it has permeated nearly every aspect of human life. To name a few types however are Clinical, Counseling, Organizational, Health, School, Sport, Gender, Industrial, Abnormal and others.
Jobs in the field of Psychology
With Psychology making its presence felt everywhere, a Psychologist can find themselves in a wide variety of places
- A research psychologist investigates the physical, cognitive, emotional and social aspects of human behaviour, and so, could find a job as a researcher, research assistant, and professor in an educational institution.
- Applied Psychologists are involved in counselling, training programs, market research, mental health services in hospitals, clinics, or private settings and so could find jobs from counselling to being a member of a company’s market research team.
- Clinical psychologists concern themselves with mental health programmes ranging from normal psychological crisis to extreme conditions. They work in psychiatric hospitals, in the community, children’s homes, remand centers etc.
- Counselling psychologists help people on how to deal with problems of every day living – personal, social, educational or vocational.
- Developmental psychologists study the patterns and causes of behavioural change from infancy to adulthood and could again be counselors in hospitals on pre and neo natal care, including early childhood.
- Educational psychologists design, develop and evaluate educational programs. They deal with learning, behaviour and emotional problems as well as with handicapped children. Educational psychologists could be working in a school or in the education department of the government.
- Experimental psychologists conduct experimental research on various aspects of human behaviour and so could find jobs as researchers, research assistants, and professors in educational institutions.
- Industrial, organizational and marketing psychologists apply psychological principles to personnel administration, management and marketing problems and so could be working in a company or be a consultant there.
- Occupational psychologists advise companies on improving training, job satisfaction and productivity. They specialize in industrial relations, vocational guidance and counselling. Thus they could be working in a company or be a consultant there.
- Consumer psychologists are concerned with consumer reactions to products or services. Market research requires their evaluation to assess consumer preferences. So they could be working in the marketing research division of a company.
- Social psychologists study group behaviour, leadership, attitudes and interpersonal perception and again could be in a variety of places.
- Cognitive psychologists study the brain’s role in memory, thinking and perceptions and involve themselves with research related to artificial intelligence and could be involved in developing new and innovative technologies.
- Neuro psychologists study the relation between human physical systems and behaviour. These psychologists work in stroke and head injury programs, oncology programs, and medical practices specializing in neurology.
- Criminology and legal psychologists work in prisons, juvenile centers and special hospitals. They provide a range of rehabilitative programmes through individual as well as group therapy.
Who can do a course in Psychology?
If you are planning to get into the field of Psychology it is better to start early. Get to know of colleges that offer Psychology as a subject right after your 10th standard. This provides you with a better foundation. However you can also begin taking it as a major subject in college.
Some of the Colleges / Institutions in India offering an MA in Psychology
- North Eastern Hill University, Shillong 793001
- University of Bihar, Muzaffarpur, Meghalaya 842001
- Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Kameshwar Nagar, Darbhanga, Bihar 846008.
- Kameshwarnagar, Darbhanga, Bihar 840004
- Magadh University, Bodh Gaya, Bihar 824234
- Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur, Bihar 812007
- Ranchi University, Ranchi, Bihar 812007
- Patna University, Patna, Bihar 812007
- Sambalpur University, Burla, Orissa 768019
- Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa 751004
- Bhopal Vishwavidyalaya, Hoshangabad Road, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh 462006
- Vikram University, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh 456010
- Rani Durgawati Vishwavidyalaya, Rachpedi, Jabulpur, Madhya Pradesh 482001
- Doctor Hari Singh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar, Madhya Pradesh 470002
- Jiwaji University, Vidyavihar, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh 474002
- Avadesh Pratap Singh University, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh 492010
- Ravishankar University, Raipur, Madhya Pradesh 492010
- Barakatullah Vishwavidyalaya, Hoshangabad Road, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh 462026
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, 162, Rabindra Nath Tagore Marg, Indore, Madhya Pradesh 452001
- Agra University, Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282004
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh 202001
- Avadh University, Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh 224001
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221005
- University of Allahabad, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh 211002
- Dayalbagh Educational Institute Dayalbagh, Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282005
- Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, P.O. Gurukul Kangri, Hardwar, Uttar Pradesh 249404
- Garhwal University, Srinagar, Uttar Pradesh 246174
- University of Gorakhpur, Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh 276174
- Kanpur University, Kalyanpur, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh 208084
- Kashi Vidyapeeth, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221002
- University of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226007
- Meerut University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh 250001
- Kumaun University, Nainital, Uttar Pradesh 263001
- Purvanchal University, Zafarabad Road, Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh 222002
- Rohilkhand University, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh 243123
- University of Delhi, Benito Juarez Marg, Near Dhaula Kuan, New Delhi, Delhi 110021
- Jamia Milia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi 110025
- Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak, Haryana 124001
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana 132119
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, Punjab 430005
- Punjab University, Sector 14, Chandigarh, Punjab 160014
- Punjab University, Patiala, Punjab 147002
- Himachal Pradesh University, Summer Hill, Shimla 171005
- Jodhpur University, Jodhpur, Rajasthan 313001
- Mohanlal Sukhadia University, Udaipur, Rajasthan 313001
- University of Rajasthan, Jaipur 302004
- M.S. University, Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat 302004
- Gujarat University, Navarangpura, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380009
- Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat 388120
- South Gujarat University, Post Box No.49, Surat, Gujarat 395007
- Saurashtra University, Rajkot, Gujarat 360005
- Amaravati University, Aurangabad, Maharashtra 431004
- Marathwada University, Aurangabad, Maharashtra 431004
- Nagpur University, Rabindranath Tagore Marg, Nagpur, Maharashtra 440001
- University of Pune, Ganeshkhind, Pune , Maharashtra 411007
- Shivaji University, Vidyanagar, Kolhapur, Maharashtra 416004
- University of Bombay, MG Road, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400032
- Bangalore University, Jnana Bharathi, Bangalore, Karnataka 560056
- University of Mysore, Mysore Viswavidyalaya Karya Soudha, Crawford Hall, P.B. No. 17, Mysore, Karnataka 570005
- Karnataka University, Dharwad, Karnataka 580003
- Andhra University, Waltair, Andhra Pradesh 530003
- Osmania University, Administrative Building, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500007
- Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu 608002
- Bharatiar University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu 641046
- University of Madras, Centemary Building, Chepauk, Chennai 600005
- University of Calicut, P.O. Malapuram, Dist. Calicut, Kerala 673635
- University of Kerala, University P.O., Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695034